I have launched a new series called “Coffee Chat.” This series is focused on inspirational women who love their jobs and want to inspire other women to find their passions and transform their lives. Today’s coffee chat features my wonderful friend, Monika Casey, who is the definition of a quadruple threat: actress, producer, comedian and creator. Making it happen in Hollywood is challenging and all about creating your dreams. Keep reading to hear all about Monika’s life and her blossoming career in LA!
1. Name, where you live and one fun random fact about you to break the ice with our readers.
Monika, Los Angles CA, I am a huge 80’s Geek!
2. Describe the average work day in your life?
A day in my life is caring for my two year old and two pugs, gym, auditions, meditation, follow up emails for potential projects.
3. What inspired you to go down this career path?
I have always been a film lover and in kindergarten I jumped in to play the husband in The Night Before Christmas play when another kid got sick. My teacher painted a mascara mustache on my face, I remembered my one or two lines and the applause I got hooked me!
4. What was your very first step to get you where you are today?
My very first step towards my career was joining the local theater programs or talent shows with friends at school. I’ve always been performing 🙂 I took every theater class is high school and majored in theater in college.
5. What is one challenge you had to overcome in order to reach happiness with your career?
The one challenge I’ve had to overcome is getting in my own way. Self doubt and procrastination are killers in momentum.
6. What are three habits you would recommend to someone pursing their dream career?
Three habits I would recommend to someone pursuing their dream as an actor/entertainment industry is FOCUS, Persistence, and practice Self-love! Always be creating and working with other positive like minded people and support and encourage each other. It takes a village!
7. How would you describe your support network? Who’s in it?
My support network is literally a village! A handful of close inner circle friends (Auntie KK!!!), nanny, therapist, reiki master, hair dresser, personal trainer, acting coach, manager, a casting director here and there that cast/book me and even a few more helpful souls.
8. What’s one skill you’re currently working on that will help you further your career?
One skill I’m working on is hustling. I know that sounds like a dirty word but as a performer you are the CEO of your company and that requires meeting people, forming relationships and sometimes asking for a favor or help.
9. To balance out your work life, what’s your fitness and health regime?
I love to take all my frustrations out on my personal trainer. We do hard core MMA training and it is so empowering! I also try to slip in two yoga classes a week and some extra cardio if I can. I try to eat smaller meals every few hours and pretty clean meals. But my I treat myself to IN N OUT about two or three times a month!
10. What is one book that helped you on your career journey that you would recommend?
There are a few Goldie Hawn’s A Lotus Grows in the Mud, Rue McClanahan’s My First 5 Husbands and the One’s that got Away, and Andy Cohen’s Most Talkative!! I love reading about people’s journeys, the struggle, lessons and the highs and lows. We are all human and you can never judge a book by it’s cover. 🙂
If you are interested in being featured or would like to refer a inspirational boss babe please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org!!